articles | gallery of plants | blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
First open-source seeds released!

International Garden Photographer of the Year winners

Many gardeners attribute success to luck, not skill

Big, old trees make great carbon sinks

Tomato gene tweaked to lengthen growing season

Emerald ash borer may have predator

RSS story archive

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: Transplanting Lilacs

Jeneva wrote:

>Does anyone know how best to transplant these shrubs
>or their shoots?

Young suckers with a healthy chunk of root seem to transplant the
best.  Kimberton Hills Camphill Village, the former Myrin  summer estate,
has a whole section of amazing lilacs in the most wonderful colors.  I
wanted some for my community garden, so I did some reading to find out how
to transplant, take cuttings, etc.

Root cuttings taken in the fall are the preferred method.  I convinced my
then-boyfriend, soon to be husband last fall that he wanted to come with me
on a mission to propagate rare lilacs which meant digging in solid clay
that probably hadn't been disturbed since the Myrins left in 1976.  Since I
couldn't remember which lilacs were which colors, we took rooted suckers
from all of them! :-D  All but two of them leafed out this spring, so I'd
definately recommend this method.

One can also take softwood cuttings after the lilacs have flowered.  I've
done this with an ancient lilac from a colleague that is growing out of
wall and such, doesn't have any rooted suckers.  We'll see if the cuttings
take.

Good luck and enjoy transplanting your lilacs.  I also have two at my
community garden that were "rescued" two years ago when someone decided to
build on the land they were on.  They were not thrilled at being
transplanted in early May, but with water and a thick mulch, they bloomed
beautifully this year.

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of