Re: Weather

Well, Auralie, you will find more spring than you have, but not as
advanced as it usually is.  Probably more advanced near the shore
than where I am.  I know Richmond, VA is ahead of us by a bit - even
Alex. VA has Bradford Pears in bloom and the cherry blossoms have
emerged along the Tidal Basin in DC...just that much warmer than my
spot.  Daffs are definitely out - if the flowers survive tonight's

Yes, snow does provide insulation for plants, without a doubt.
Unless they get smashed down by the weight of the snow, like my poor,
bedraggled Helleborus argutifolius, perennials emerge from snow cover
in much better condition than those who have had to face all the icy
wind blasts and the freeze/thaw of normal winter here.

Peonies are bone hardy plants, but their tender new growth can get a
bit nipped - not so easily as many plants, but any tender, new growth
is susceptible to frost damage after it hits a certain point of

Hope you have a good and safe trip south!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
> Marge, we are heading down your way tomorrow morning and expecting
to find
> spring there.  Our semi-annual birding trip to Bombay Hook,
Delaware and
> Chincoteague, Va. is a bit early this year to avoid conflicts with
> organizational events, but after this winter I am really, really
ready to see
> some spring.  When we were in Olympia, Washington, last month
daffodils and
> fruit trees were blooming but when we returned to New York we were
> snow-covered.  The snow has gone in the past week, and the ice from
the pond,
> but the garden still doesn't bear walking around in. And now we
have another
> light snow cover. I removed the mulch from one bed over the weekend
and cut
> back the liriope edging so that the crocus planted under it could
show.  Some
> crocus have bloomed on a sunny bank and Iris reticulata and I.
danfordiae are