Re: record snow in Colorado

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] record snow in Colorado
  • From: "Betsy Kelson" bkelson@ix.netcom.com
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:17:15 -0700

Hi Tricia,
        I too am behind in my mail due to the snow fall. I still stand by my
"Bring it ON".

        On the Morning of Tuesday Mar 18(probably you were skiing), Greg and
I were shoveling the 16" off the driveway hill. Tuesday afternoon at 5:00pm
we lost power.  Wed. Morning we shoveled the same area off again because it
had 24" MORE. Greg did manage to get to the grocery store that day in his
old '73 land Crusier with the high clearance. Thursday, we shoveled 4 feet
from in front of the garage to get the 4 wheel drive truck out. I think we
had 5" of new snow that day.And Friday, it was sunny, and we shoveled 4' of
snow off the neighbor's drive. Greg thinks we had about 56" total which
brings our total snowfall for the season to 113". About twice as much as we
had the entire season last year. Whoo hoo!!
oh and the power came on on Saturday sometime.
        I do not know if you noticed the trees on your way back to Denver,
But my drive to work down the mountain was heart breaking. Huge pines and
spruces that hug the rock walls along Bear Creek Canyon, had fallen off
their rocky perches. Tree tops were broken out, trunks were split down the
middle. No wonder the power was off for so long. That stream corridor not
only has a beautiful stream running through it, but the power lines are
there and the trees took them out.
        The water people will be taking snow measurments tomorrow April 1
and  then they will meet and determine at their meeting on April 16 what the
water restrictions for the summer in Denver will be. The snow helped
people's attitudes about the planting season a bit. But the drought is far
from over here. For me, being dependent on a well, I'm glad it snowed so
much. This snow translated into about 10-12" of rain and it is melting
slowly which is a blessing.  And the fire danger is very low right now.
    So what is else is blooming in your yard?

Betsy
z4 it was in the 50's today and sunny