Re: watering practices

Thanks Rich,
This isn't in my budget (time or money) for this year, but possibly next,
which means your suggestion of reading up on it would be ideal for now.
Our local Lowe's has lots of books on such subjects, so I might just check
it out.  I attempted a bastardized version of drip irrigation a few years
ago by laying the Anderson hoses upside down.  Not a true test I realize,
but what I didn't like was that the water didn't travel horizontally (as I
would have expected in a clay soil), but more or less straight down, though
this might have had to do with the pressure from the Andersons.
One other qstn.  Can you give me a capsule explanation of the difference
between drip and weeping?  I realize drip has specific places to release
the water while weepers release all along the hose.  But is there a reason
one is better than the other or are they for different applications?