Re: Small victories

maybe that's what gardening is all about, kitty. we can have the small victories that escape us in other parts of our lives.

At 08:15 PM 4/3/03 -0500, you wrote:
Friends,When I got home from work tonight, there was time, but there
wasn't, to work in the yard.  So instead I went around the yard with my
yellow flags marking things that need attention.  It gave me a chance to
really see some things. You can't miss the small sea of chionodoxa, glory
of the snow.  It has to be one of my favorite spring bulbs.  And my
Fritillaria raddeana have popped up a foot already!  And the most
stunning Pulmonaria, 'David Ward' is glorious and in bloom - hot salmony
pink flowers over soft green leaves edged with cream.  But other things
took much closer scrutiny.  The Bloodroot I moved last summer have
survived and are popping up.  The Anemone ranunculoides that I have tried
unsuccessfully for years are out and about  and have buds on them!
(Thanks so much Gene!)  The Anemonopsis that survived but didn't flourish
out front was moved to the back with the Toadlilies, and it's just now
showing some green.  The Actaea 'Hillside Black Beauty', purchased just
last summer is alive and well.  And just down the way from it are the 3
little Afghan Lilacs, Syringa protolaciniata, that I got from World
Plants last fall - all showing shiny new growth!  And one of my
favorites, Pachyphragma - sorry can't find a common name is gorgeous!
covered with tight white buds and a few have opened.  Nearby is Spring
Vetchling, limping along, but still alive - it too got moved last fall.
The Madonna Lilies are looking robust.  There's so much to be thrilled
about!  But the prize goes to my Bergenia.  I've tried for years to get
one to bloom .  Followed all the instructions.  Neat leaves but never a
bloom.  So the new one I got last spring - I put it in sun.  The poor
thing got trounced by a runaway Mountain Bluet.  Had to R&R twice.   But
hooray!  This Bergenia has several clusters of tight magenta buds tucked
down in there.  Finally a Bergenia success story.  May not seem like
much, but tonight, life is good! Kitty