From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of EvaTEsq@aol.com
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 10:10 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Makeshift greenhouse was new purchases

In a message dated 3/8/2003 10:02:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
chris@widom-assoc.com writes:

> I usually set up a temporary  make-shift greenhouse using a garden
> that sits on a protected area of the deck off the house.  I put the
> plants in trays on and under the bench and drape the whole thing in
> clear plastic sheeting.  The weight of the bench holds the plastic
> under each leg.  Also, I use a few strategically placed bricks to help
> prevent the wind from blowing the plastic away.  It gets pretty windy
> the water!  I create "vents" as needed by lifting an edge.  This
> has worked well for me for a few years now.
> I've also used an old garden cart covered in plastic.
> Chris
> Long Island, NY
> Zone 7

I've been trying to catch up on old email (I have 740 left to go), and I
across this  one.  That is a great idea.  I never thought of anything
that.  When do you use this makeshift greenhouse?  What plants do you
find do
well under this setup?

By the way, will you be going to the Hofstra University Arboretum Flower
Garden Show next week?

Long Island, NY
Zone 6/7