Re: Spring Sprung

In a message dated 4/1/2003 11:02:46 AM Central Standard Time,
gardenchat-owner@hort.net writes:

> So what is else is blooming in your yard?

The wildflowers are in full bloom....blue, white and Tx. A&M Maroon
Bluebonnets, Indian Paintbrush, natives Phlox and verbenas, etc.  Cannas,
Bidens and salvias are beginning to bloom.  Aristea ecklonii, Bloodroot,
Byzantine gladiolus, Pink Jasmine,  antique roses, Lady Banks Rose,
Brunfelsia (Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow), native azaleas, Tradescantia,
Iris, Columbine, and Bilbergia bromeliads.
Forest Pansy Redbud just finished blooming, as have the Flowering Dogwood,
Fringe tree and Camelias.  Weeping Bottlebrush tree is in full bloom.  Citrus
still in full bloom, going to have a bumper crop this year.  Nectarines are
about an inch in size.

Unfortunately I transplanted the Walters Viburnum, Cherry Laurel, and an
Orchid Tree (Bauhinia)....so none of those have their blooms....in fact they
look sad.  Hoping they will recover.  Anyone have any experience?
 Meant to ask you, Island Jim.....are some Bauhinia evergreen or just
sometimes??  I have one, a miniature white that is deciduous, but the B.
macranthera and the large white (no idea of sp.) stayed evergreen.  None
bloomed since the first two are tiny, the latter had serious transplant
shock.  Had all for a few years now, and have found this pattern.

I had mentioned some years back having a native Anise.  Well, some where
along the line it died...no idea why.  This is my second loss of this
plant...so replaced it with an  Oakleaf Hydrangea (my area is not good for
hydrangeas or azaleas, but the native azaleas seem to do okay, so figured I'd
try the native Hydrangea.)
Another new plant addition:  California millet.  Beautiful purple foliage and
fuzzy plumes, that look like they have tiny fiber optic lights at the end.
Birds love millet, just hope I don't end up with a mess.

Lots of doves nesting in trees, flowerpots, etc.  Blue jays drove out
several, but a mourning dove and an Inca dove have been able to maintain
their nests....so far.  My white doves are nesting too...should be grandma
any day now.  (smile)  OT; but got a new addition to the zoo.....a baby
(month old) guinea pig.  Had them as a child and always wanted another....saw
him at the feed store shortly after begin born..fell in LOVE....so got him
when weaned.  (big smile)

Have had wonderful weather...not as much rain as north and east TX, but
enough to keep things green and growing while I've been very busy w/ work,
etc.

So are things here in southeast Tx.
Noreen
zone 9