Re: Berms

Yup, Kitty, the most amazing garbage is sold as "top soil"...top of
what, one wonders.  Muck soils need grit and coarse organic matter
and then, I understand, can be quite productive.  I guess that would
also depend on what the composition really was.  But, alone, muck
soils are yuckky.

One of the loads I got was silt basically.  Lovely, black, soft and
fertile, but when it dries out, it's concrete.  I had requested a mix
of this with sand and was told it was already very sandy...right!
Should have insisted, but did not and have been paying for that error
ever since.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

> From: Kitty Morrissy <kmrsy@earthlink.net>
> You must be right about that Marge, because around here topsoil is
black
> muck; we were even warned against it in our MG class.  Muck soils
are
> formed when plant material decomposes when oxygen is absent.  When
I order