From: Island Jim
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: 4/9/2003 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Berms, now top soil

this is an interesting topic. just the mathematics of it are, i think.
would seem to me that top soil is just that, the top 12 or so inches
that
are normally penetrated by the roots of grasses and broadleaf weeds. now
have no idea how large an area it would take to furnish all the top soil

that is sold in a single day in this country, but i suspect it would
probably be an area at least the size of deleware. so i conclude that
many,
many outfits are selling subsoil as top soil.