Re: Berms

Well, personally, I envy anyone who has a naturally wet spot.  I have
to build them at considerable time and hard labor.  There are so many
plants who like it damp to wet.  Donna has a great list.  I wish you
could see the difference my "damp garden" makes to one of my
Carex...the one in that garden is now a yard around; the others in
the regular garden beds are maybe a foot around.

Climate is going to dictate some of the plants you can grow, but
don't forget the marvelous aroids...who just might be hardy in S.
CA...some of the Alocasias and Colocasias ought to be and some of
them grow very nicely in standing water - don't require it, but do
require constant moisture - these are the huge elephant ears; many of
whom are variegated or have dark, almost black foliage.  There are
others, as well who aren't huge plants.

But, if you want some instant impact, an elephant ear is hard to
beat.  Have pix of several in my article about them:

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/shade_gardening/95670

I have found a source for Alocasia macrorrhiza 'Variegata' and
Xanthosoma mafaffa aurea 'Lime Zinger' and am about to send in an
order....gotta have 'em!

Many Canna grow in standing water, too.  And, if it gets cool or
nearly freezing, the candelabra primroses might do - they want
continually damp soil.  Astilbes thrive in my damp garden where they
gasp and suffer in the rest of the garden.  One really marvelous
(quite a huge plant, really) Euphorbia takes wet feet - the common
name is swamp spurge - Euphorbia palustris...really shrub like when
full grown, but dies down in winter.

If the spot is in sun, consider making a peat bog for carnivorous
plants.  Sarracenia are magnificent things - the pitchers are lovely
and the flowers are incredible...and the colors the pitchers come in
are WOW.  When I was in NC last summer, visited the NC Botanical
Garden who have a paved area of raised peat bogs for
Sars....incredible!  One of these days I have got to scan the slides
I took there to share.  This type of bog consists of peat and sand,
period...needs to be watered with rain water, which I collect in
summer, as they can't take the chemicals in city water.

S. CA is naturally desert, so you'd probably have to do some hunting
to find out what grows in any naturally boggy spots where you are
that is indigenous to CA.  There are probably hundreds of plants from
around the world who would grow for you in spot that was constantly
wet.

If you do go the damp garden route, keep in mind that some moisture
lovers want moisture at their roots, but want their crowns in soil
that drains...this can easily be accomplished by making a mound to
plant into.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade