RE: Berms< garden projects and planting

Thanks for the suggestions Marge- one note- I am in Northern California, but
still much applies.  I don't think I have the patience to do the plants that
require rainwater ( and since it does rain here for 6-8 months at a time not
very practical), but the ones that like wet feed and dryer crown might be
perfect, since I've already made a bit of an elevated mound in an effort to
have the few things I have planted not completely drown.  I did recently
plant 2 yellow calla lilies there as part of my experiment to see if they
will stick around all year rather than go dormant because they dry out too
much.  My astilbe also likes damp, but it would singe in this spot- western
exposure.  The candelaba primroses intruigue me, not familiar with them.

Well, while I ponder that area, I did get the rest of tomatos and pepper
plant put out last night.  Also, planted melon and cucumber seeds.  Next
weekend i hope to get some corn planted.  I ripped out most of the remaining
snap pea plants- a few days up to 80 and more direct sun has done them in.
Oh well, they were good all winter.  The spinach and cilantro aren't looking
to happy either with this warmer weather.  I still need to get another
climbing rose- looking for a yellow one, preferably old garden rose or other
antique variety.  Have a nice sunny spot where it can grow up my lattice
fence in mind.  One rose I got last year at the Davis Arboretum sale is
already a pain in the neck- it's an Abraham Darby.  It had white flies
earlier in spring and now has rust.  great- we'll see how long I tolerate
that level of fussiness.

Anyway- time for bed-
night all.

Theresa