Re: Berms< garden projects and planting

Theresa...apologies!  This is not the first time I have read your SIG
as S. CA instead of Sacramento...the mind just does not work:-(

Did you mean it does NOT rain for 6-8 months at a time?  More what I
would expect than having it rain for 6-8 months straight as I think
Sacramento is in the valley and that's basically more of a desert/
chaparral type ecosystem, isn't it?

I grow my callas in pots and find they all go dormant at some point,
watered or not, so don't know whether yours in the ground will stay
evergreen, but will be interesting to find out - post the results of
your experiment, OK?

Candelabra primroses ( Primula japonica spp. and others) are my
favorites.  They get huge when happy; come in range of colors from
white through pinks, reds and oranges.  They simply must have
consistently moist soil - not necessarily swampy tho' they do grow in

Have some pix of the ones I grow in this article:

Northern or not, you should still be able to winter some of the
elephant ears and cannas in the ground:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Theresa- yahoo <tchessie@yahoo.com>
> Thanks for the suggestions Marge- one note- I am in Northern
California, but