Re: Berms

a  natural rolling hill not just a pile of dirt.
A few years ago I did this slight rolling hill & planted a Jap. Maple on
top, then put primulas around it & planted a "golden sedum" ground cover
/ yellow flowers. It has spread almost down to the drive way, I also have
a row of "grape" hyacinths, & have Penstemons behind & part around the
tree & later the Liatris & the asters fill in.
On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:11:39 -0700 "Ray & Nora Edwards"
<raynora.edwards@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>     Berms are wonderful . I happen to think most landscape projects
> greatly
> benefit from them.  I assume you have looked at ways to improve
> drainage .
>     What we did is just layered using newspaper ,bark and finally
> compost.
> The plants were put in at the top and the soil/compost was brought
> up to
> them.  The layering in it's self improved drainage for us.Try to get
> a nice
> even slope like a  natural rolling hill not just a pile of dirt.
> That takes
> looking from all angles. You also have to be aware that the soil
> will settle
> so it has to be higher that your final planned height. Think raised
> bed. We
> top ours off every year with fresh compost.
>
> Nora

Tony Veca <><
Another Gr888 Day in Paradise !!!!!
Vancouver, WA