Re: Re: Japanese Hepaticas

> From: James R. Fisher <garrideb@well.com>
> I wonder if good light for me is 'good light' for you. Do you mean
> full sun at high summer mid-day ?
> [For those not aware, I live about 15 miles due south of Marge.]
----------

No, Jim, not full sun!  Lordy!  Yours or mine would fry them for
sure:-)   I have them in a woodland garden; high deciduous tree
canopy.  They, of course, get sun before the trees leaf out, but once
that happens, that bed might get one hour of direct sun, if that;
mostly dappled shade, but high shade - the trees are very tall and
lowest limbs maybe 20 feet off the ground, so slanting sun rays hit
the bed at different times of day.  The bed they're in is on the
south side of a very large oak with another very large oak to its
south and maybe 30' feet to the west.  The oak canopies are not
touching, but they do not permit real direct overhead sun once they
are in leaf, if you see what I mean.  There are also some smaller
trees about 20 feet away to the south of this bed and fairly solid
wild woodland starting about 15' to the east of it.

When I say 'good light', I mean not under an evergreen, a tree or
shrub with branches close to the ground or in a spot that doesn't
even get dappled shade - I have several of those:-)  Like, I do not
think they would be really happy up against the north side of a
structure; could be wrong, but the ones in that bed seem pretty happy
about it at this point (barring getting stomped on by bambi).

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade