"Wondering if those retired on the list... were you a gardener before, or
is that how you adjusted to retirement." Been gardening for
years...retired Jan. 10...with many plans for gardening, volunteering,
hiking, learning new things.  Two weeks after hanging it up, husband went
into hospital for three weeks and is still recovering.  I am just able to
keep gardens up, haven't had much opportunity to add but have thoroughly
enjoyed the results of years of planting...this spring was gorgeous,
especially my native garden.   I started a native garden on the shady
side of the house...had established upper story of elms, oaks, redbud and
added smaller trees and shrubs (Callicarpa americana, Calycanthus
floridus, Euonymus americanus, Fothergilla major, Hydrangea querifolia,
Viburnum acerifolium).  Then, took out grass where there was defused
light and added Decumaria, Chrysogonum virginianum, Hepatica americana,
Tiarella cordifolia, Aquilegia candadensis, Geranium maculatum, Phlox
divaricata, Podophyllum peltatum, Silene virginica, Stolophorum
diphyllum, a number of asters, and mulched. For a while it did look very
uncivilized but this spring with the rain and cool weather, it is
starting to look wonderful.  The Phlox and Stolophorum have spread into
color drifts of white, blue and yellow.  Bonnie Zone 6+ ETNholmesbm@usit.net