Re: Alocasias and Colocasias was: Berms

> From: Cersgarden@aol.com
> Marge, what is the difference betwn those two.  Alocasias leafs
seem to be
> erect where Colocasias droop.
Well, Ceres, there are several differences although they were once
considered the same species.  I've listed them in my article, but the
main difference is (copied & pasted out of my article:)

"The most important difference between the two is microscopic, found
within the female flowers. In Colocasia the placenta is along the
interior sides of the embryonic future berry from top to bottom with
the many "stems" of the ovaries attached to the placenta along the
interior sides of the ovary. In Alocasia the placenta is basal, and a
sparser number of ovaries and "stems" are attached to it within the
embryonic future berry but along its interior base. "

For the rest, see the article - differences are listed under the
subheading 'Alocasia'

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :