From: Island Jim [mailto: jsinger@igc.org]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 16:42:50 -0400
Subject: [CHAT] botanical gardens

i just got back from a bromeliad society show and sale at marie selby
caused <br>this winter. most stuff looked okay except for some of the
frost tender <br>palms that are not planted in protected locations. i
was surprised to see <br>that the lignum vitae, which is definitely not
hardy as far north as <br>sarasota, looked unmolested and was blooming
like mad.<br><br>also, the shaving brush tree [pseudobombax something or
other] was in full <br>bloom. this relative of the bombax blooms like
the bombax--masses of red <br>flower on the end of every bare branch and
twig. but unlike the bombax, <br>these flowers, as the common name
implies, are fuzzy pink "brushes."<br><br>maybe i'll go up to the
florida botanical garden tomorrow to see what's <br>going on there. it's
just north of st. pete, a couple of hours from here.<br><br>and one last

thing about big public gardens. i guess all of you have heard <br>by now
that cypress gardens, florida's oldest theme park built on a
when the <br>short one heard that, she said: "i wonder what they're
going to do with all <br>those big
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br><br>