Re: Billbergia nutans

Off hand, I think it is Bilbergia nutans.  Anyway, just wanted to add that
this particular bromeliad is one of the epiphytes and can grow on bark,
trees, etc. without soil at all.  It does not gain it's nutrients or water
through the soil, as Theresa mentioned by watering from top.  Mine are
growing in the crook (forks?) in the trees.  They are very hardy here in zone
9 also....blooming in cooler weather.  Here they bloom Oct- May.

I'm a major bromeliad fan thanks to an elderly friend, who is a very well
known bromeliad person.  He got me interested in it many years ago, and have
been growing them epiphytically ever since.  Unfortunately I have very little
knowledge about them besides that gained through experience and what I have
learned from him.... have found few books that give interesting info.  I
definitely enjoy growing them though.

For those in the area who are interested:  there is a large bromeliad
show/sale here in Houston, at the Arboretum May 30- June 1.  There was a sale
this past weekend, but was busy with the Spring Czech Festival so unable to
go, unfortunately.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast