Re: blooms on easter sunday

In a message dated 04/20/2003 6:05:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jsinger@igc.org writes:

> gardenias, purple spathoglottis ground orchids [pink ones have buds],
> african iris, verbena, sugar apples and atemoya, and one of my philodendron
> selloums has about six flower buds on it. never had one bloom before. the
> buds suggests it will look a lot like a clumsy peace lily or calla lily.
> but probably a lot uglier. caladiums are coming up everywhere [in the
> nurseries, too], which is another sign we're heading into the wet season;
> most of those we planted last year are back and i expect others to come
> along also.

What an impressive display, Jim!  That's another world.
Here in New York we are showing lots of color with forsythia everywhere.  It
isn't really a beautiful flower, but after the long winter the bright color
does cheer things up.  I also have Carolina jessamine, which looks a bit like
a timid forsythia.  My pink magnolia is very full of buds, but I'm sure we
will have a killing frost before they open.  It gets to open its blooms about
one year in seven.  Early daffodils are blooming - I have 'Topolino,' 'Jet
Fire,' 'Peeping Tom,' 'Split,' 'Ice Follies,' 'Jack Snipe,' and a white
trumpet that I have lost the name of open now.  Many more to come.  A few
species tulips open - can't grow many because of the deer.  Lots of small
bulbs - Greek Anemones, Iphieon, Chionodoxa (sp?), Scilla.  A few violets,
both purple and white, in protected places.  My pulmonarias are beginning to
open, and are presenting a problem.  I have quite a few varieties, but they
all seem to be spreading and seeding around.  I don't mind - love to have
them - but how will I know what is what, and will they revert to something
basic, or will I have new hybrids?  Epimediums are showing buds, but have
several days to go yet before I see blooms.  The hellebores have been out for
a couple of weeks - on one clump I counted 28 flower stems with 3-to-6 blooms
on each stem.  It's a pity they are such an unattractive color.
So, as I said, it is a different world.  However, we do appreciate small
favors so much - we probably get as big a thrill out of our first daffodils
as any of your exotics.