Well, this year my lovely wife and I feel like we're living in an aviary. There are so many birds here now it's almost unbelievable. A dove has laid two eggs in a hanging basket that is hanging from my rafters outside the house just where our sliding glass doors are. She doesn't seem to mind us walking back and forth not more than two feet from her. Also, a blue jay has taken up in my greenhouse on the side of the house. She's more nervous when I go in to water. Darts right at my head. We have multiple hummingbirds, finch, mocking birds and of course robins bouncing off the windows. I was woken up yesterday by several birds right outside my bedroom sliding glass door. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

I credit this to two things: First is that I no longer use pesticides in my garden at all. Stopped about two years ago and haven't gone back since. Second is that my garden is now four or five years old and things have grown in tremendously.

Here's a quick rundown. First is the Melianthus. It's now about eight feet tall but the flower stalks rise up an additional 2-3'. It is four feet deep and eight feet across now. Quite a specimen. Birds just love it. The "honey" from it stinks to high heaven but they seem to enjoy it. Next to the Melianthus is our Gunnera and my oh my the size of the leaves are something else. It's already put out four or five. My abutilons never stopped blooming and are really putting out some nice color. I kept one of my bouganvilleas in my small gh here at home and it's quite a nice display also. I will definitely keep it there in the future. Bamboo is all grown in and the Dicksonian ferns are looking gorgeous. The bamboo sheltered them from the small amount of frost that we recieved this year. Musa mysore and bajou are coming back with a vengence. Colombines are blooming their little heads off also. The phormiums I think have doubled in size over this winter and spring. Beautiful tri color leaves. Passiflora is also giving off nice color and the clemetis is coming back nicely. I've never seen the Hemorocallis doing so well either. In front of the phormiums they look great. Not blooming yet but so green. Astribes are ready to bloom and the cannas are coming back also. Did I mention the strelizias? I have four open blooms on one of them now...really great.

Well, I'm trying to catch up. Sorry for being so wordy. Oh, and I've been making deliveries of hibs to nurseries now and besides that I'm selling almost 150 per week at the farmers markets.

Now, the trout season opens this weekend so I'll be gone fishin beginning this Thurs. I'll be back on Tues.

Happy spring