Re: aviary/now Gunnera

Uh oh, Nora...just got one of those this spring.  Planning on growing
it in the largest plastic tub I can find per idea from George
Schmid's "An Encyclopedia of Shade Perennials".  Have wanted it for
years but was afraid to get one as they are absolutely rampant, but
he says it does well in confinement and part shade in his Georgia
garden, so I figure it ought to do the same for me.  Maybe yours by
your pond were in the sun and that's why they fainted when it got
hot?  Good luck getting it out - not supposed to be an easy task once
it gets going.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
> From: Ray & Nora Edwards <raynora.edwards@worldnet.att.net>
> Hope the Gunnera works out better than the Petasites japonicus
> did for me. It's also a big leaf plant (about half the leaf size of
> Gunnera). I put it by the pond and the white flowers and variegated
> looked good in the spring. The slugs and snails liked it a lot.
Summer came