landscape timbers

Several years ago, before realizing the dangers of arsenic from
the rotting wood, I used landscape timbers for my raised vegetable
gardens.  Now, many of them are in serious disrepair.  Does anyone know
of the safest way to remove them?  If I left them until winter, does
anyone know how far into the bed could I safely plant vegetables?  Bonnie
Zone 6+ ETNholmesbm@usit.net