Re: landscape timbers

Well, Bonnie, for over 20 years (and that's more than 10 years ago) I
had a veggie garden with raised beds made of treated landscape
timbers and I ain't died yet.  From what I have read, the arsenic
does not migrate far from the timber if it does degrade out of it at
al.  Just don't plant your radishes, beets and potatoes right next to
them and don't worry.  Plants do not pull the arsenic out of the

If you need to remove them, just remove them and take them to the
dump.  No problem.  The problems with handling treated wood are
primarily in breathing sawdust that results from sawing it.  I
wouldn't chew on it, but other than that IMO there's no need to
stress about it.  Wear gloves...I would anyway just to avoid

Most of my timbers are still there; some have rotted away.  I use the
beds for holding shrubs and perennials now.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :