RE: This and That

Hello all!

Even though I'm in charge of the special dinosaur event that the whole
school attends with their parents, I announced that I was leaving the
building before my usual 5:00 come hell or high water!  So, while my
preschoolers were on the playground or having snack, I hustled to get
things finished up for tomorrow and I got out of the building at 3:15!
I have a 50 minute drive, but I got home early enough to tour my garden
and take 130 photos with my digital camera.  I had wanted to spray
Roundup on the area of grass that I'm trying to kill before I rototill
it under.  My first application in 55 degree weather killed about 75% of
the grass, but I think that I didn't apply it heavy enough.  The winds
were brisk today, as they are many afternoons on the bay, so it wasn't
possible to spray.  However, the light was beautiful coming through the
coral bark maple and it backlit the new fiddle heads of the Christmas
ferns beautifully!  I did have to delete many blurry close-ups of
daffodils cultivars as it was just too windy!

One of my favorite rhododendrons was in full bloom, MARY FLEMMING. I
just made another purchase of a cultivar named PERCY WISEMAN that looks
like its going to be a similar blend of creamy yellow, peach and a touch
of pink.  I prefer my rhododendrons and azaleas in subtle shades of
yellow or cream.

I breathed a sigh of relief after finding all my newly planted hosta
purchases had survived the fall!

On Friday I went to a plant sale at a public garden nearby, Old Westbury
Gardens.  They always have some of the newest perennials and annuals. I
spent five hours there between looking up all the unusual salvias and
tropicals, talking to the gardeners, helping fellow shoppers when they
had questions, and going on a stroll through the gardens!  It was good
for the soul!

The trees are leafing out!  Spring's really here!

Chris