Re: Bleeding Heart

> From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan <wmorgan972@ameritech.net>
> However, neither of
> us know the best way to propagate bleeding heart or the best time
to do it.
> Any thoughts out there for those who grow bleeding heart?

Old fashioned bleeding heart, Dicentra spectabilis, has a very thick,
brittle root system.  It is best divided when dormant, with a sharp
knife, but you can probably do some judicious hacking now if you make
sure to get some of that root with growth points.  I would imagine
the foliage and flowers on it will wilt and die; I'd cut them back
solid and pot up the division to let it grow new roots and foliage,
myself, but it may take simply being replanted...I do not know as
have not done this.  Whatever you do, make sure to keep the new
division well watered until it is established.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :