From: "Daryl" <pulis@mindspring.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] WAS Royal Paulownia NOW tree topping
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:42:54 -0500

Zem,

Our county has the same. They rip miles and miles of limbs off the trees
with the same justification. Here, of course, we do have ice storms every
year or two. The only problem is that the machine can only go about 15'
high, so if they miss a road for a few years, the branches are all *above
their reach, and hanging over the road.

One year, they were apparently so frustrated that they cut right to the wire
on about 300' of my fence line, then came back and gave it a buzz cut at
fence level. Never mind that 160 of those feet were 8x8' shrub roses chosen
to just hide the fence while staying away from the road. That was the front
yard. The side had several dozen native trees and shrubs, again chosen to
hide the fence, while also providing wildlife habitat. And then there were
the pines and the oak at the corner, limbs shredded as you describe.
I was physically ill when I saw the destruction as I drove home from work
that evening.

Daryl ( near "Deliverance" territory)

Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS forms  all in one place at MSN Money! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/home.asp