Re: WAS Royal Paulownia NOW tree topping

Lynda,

The worst part of it was that I'd told them and told them about the side.
The former owner (gone more than a decade at that point) had had them cut
along the drainage ditch (still very far from the fence, which is far from
the right-of-way. We maintained it all ourselves ( including very carefully
weed-whacking around each clump of wildflowers) for all that time. (After
loosing several hundred dollars worth of shrubs outside the fence, we moved
the woodies inside and just did herbaceous stuff between the fence and the
road.

And the front? They'd never touched it before. Still breaks my heart to
think about it. People would come on Mother's Day and take photos of it, and
family photos in front of it. I'd let the little ones (and big ones, too!)
cut a few roses for themselves and their mothers. There seemed to be a
never-ending supply of those great little blooms.

Funny thing, we were quite far off the beaten path back then, but people
would find us every spring. The sound of tires screeching was a common
occurrence, too.  It's amazing how fast a car can stop when someone spots
160' of blooms!

I *did get an apology from the head of the road department, but no
compensation. Would have pursued it but I was still working for the county
at the time and they frowned on employees making a fuss.

Daryl