From: james singer [mailto: jsinger@igc.org]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 18:10:45 -0400
Subject: [CHAT] Tropiflora Spring Extravaganza

Today was Tropiflora's annual Spring "event." This year, it was
loaded <br>with bromeliads, orchids, fat plants, succulents, and just
plain <br>odd-ball stuff at bargain prices. All that, plus another 20 or
so other <br>plant venders [some of whom are direct competitors to
Tropiflora] with <br>booths, guys selling pulled-pork bar-b-cue, calypso
musicians playing <br>steel drums, and old guys [like moi] shuttling
customers with their <br>plant purchases back to their vehicles in golf
carts. At least four <br>tropical fruit growers, including two from
Florida's east coast, were <br>there. It was a true plant
carnival.<br><br>And the weather was perfect. Mid -70s, not humid,
slight breeze. "Now I <br>know why I live here," the short one said
without prompting. She came <br>home from a week in Massachusetts
yesterday.<br><br>One of the more interesting plants we bought was
[NOREEN] an ant <br>plant--a Bull's Horn Acacia [Acacia sphaerocephala
Chamisso]. Here's a <br>picture and some fascinating
Jim<br>Southwest Florida<br>Zone

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com