Spent Sunday in the garden

Sunday was a great day here to be gardening...temps in upper 50's, loads
of sunshine, very little wind...so I spent the whole day from right
after Mass this a.m. until supper time putzing in the garden...it was
glorious! Some of the daffodils are now blooming, including some tiny
miniatures. Finished spring clean-up chores in two more beds
today...everything in them is looking great. Chopped the butterfly bush
down to about four inches today...it is already leafing out nicely at
it's base, so hooray! it made it! Looks like all the rose bushes came
through the winter alive, so that's another plus. I think I may have
lost one of my clumps of perennial grasses, but I thought that last year
too and it surprised me, so we'll see. But most satisfying of all, we
managed to make huge inroads into dealing with the spearmint/peppermint
problem...my husband has about half the landscaping cloth torn out and I
have now begun the arduous task of deep spading every square inch and
removing the running roots of these plants, at the same time searching
for any plants I want to save...found seven gaura that I dug and
transplanted (so yes, they are hardy here!) and two huechera that had
been swamped by the mint, so I moved them to a portion of the bed I had
already spaded and sifted free of mint/roots. Had to move one other
huechera and two Lady's Mantle, so those went there as well. Got about
18 of the roses pruned and fed today. We've started on our revamp of our
little pond by getting it cleaned out and emptied of all the gunky water
that had collected in it since the snow melted. Rearranged the existing
garden art collection and added some new pieces...a couple of funky
wooden pink flamingoes and some stained glass tiles set into black iron
frames on posts, along with some black iron finials on posts. I think I
was working off a lot of grief in the garden...we had to put our puppy
Sidda down on Saturday...she had developed a serious kidney disease that
would have been too expensive to treat in light of the fact that

she still needed another $600 surgery on her other hip, with a likely
outcome that the kidney disease would still only continue to get worse
even with treatment...I just couldn't do that do her and with her hip
daily getting worse and her level of pain increasing, it was time. But I
miss her...and the garden always helps. And I got a sunburn, darn it!

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com