From:  [mailto: gardenqueen@academicplanet.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 06:10:34 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Spent Sunday in the garden

Oh honey - condolences on your baby. That's a tough thing to do, even
if<br>it is the right thing. And gardening is the greatest therapy -
4/5/2004 12:09:30 AM<br>To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject: [CHAT] Spent
Sunday in the garden<br><br>> Sunday was a great day here to be
gardening...temps in upper 50's, loads<br>> of sunshine, very little
wind...so I spent the whole day from right<br>> after Mass this a.m.
until supper time putzing in the garden...it was<br>> glorious! Some of
the daffodils are now blooming, including some tiny<br>> miniatures.
Finished spring clean-up chores in two more beds<br>> today...everything
in them is looking great. Chopped the butterfly bush<br>> down to about
four inches today...it is already leafing out nicely at<br>> it's base,
so hooray! it made it! Looks like all the rose bushes came<br>> through
the winter alive, so that's another plus. I think I may have<br>> lost
one of my clumps of perennial grasses, but I thought that last year<br>>
too and it surprised me, so we'll see. But most satisfying of all,
we<br>> managed to make huge inroads into dealing with the
spearmint/peppermint<br>> problem...my husband has about half the
landscaping cloth torn out and I<br>> have now begun the arduous task of
deep spading every square inch and<br>> removing the running roots of
these plants, at the same time searching<br>> for any plants I want to
save...found seven gaura that I dug and<br>> transplanted (so yes, they
are hardy here!) and two huechera that had<br>> been swamped by the
mint, so I moved them to a portion of the bed I had<br>> already spaded
and sifted free of mint/roots. Had to move one other<br>> huechera and
two Lady's Mantle, so those went there as well. Got about<br>> 18 of the
roses pruned and fed today. We've started on our revamp of our<br>>
little pond by getting it cleaned out and emptied of all the gunky
water<br>> that had collecte

d in it since the snow melted. Rearranged the existing<br>> garden art
collection and added some new pieces...a couple of funky<br>> wooden
pink flamingoes and some stained glass tiles set into black iron<br>>
frames on posts, along with some black iron finials on posts. I think
I<br>> was working off a lot of grief in the garden...we had to put our
puppy<br>> Sidda down on Saturday...she had developed a serious kidney
disease that<br>> would have been too expensive to treat in light of the
fact that<br>> <br>> she still needed another $600 surgery on her other
hip, with a likely<br>> outcome that the kidney disease would still only
continue to get worse<br>> even with treatment...I just couldn't do that
do her and with her hip<br>> daily getting worse and her level of pain
increasing, it was time. But I<br>> miss her...and the garden always
http://www.excite.com<br>> The most personalized portal on the Web!<br>>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com