From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Chris@widom-assoc.com
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 9:02 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] need help re peonies

Bonnie,

When I renovated an old peony bed on my mom's old property, the peonies
were buried in weeds and needed dividing.  This was early spring, not
the time to transplant peonies, but I needed to make a new bed for
spring arrivals!  I removed every other peony in the row of about eight.
I replanted or gave away the extra plants.  Most were so large that I
divided them in thirds first.  For the remaining peonies, I had weeded
as many of the weeds and grasses that were growing in between the
enormous roots systems.  Every time I saw some new weds emerging, I
pulled them out.  Then I placed mulch as close to the plant crown as
possible in order to help keep a new crop of weed seeds from sprouting.
All of the transplanted peonies bloomed the same year!  The old peonies
looked beautiful after given some TLC! Also, I kept some in pots for a
month or more until I got around to planting them. Just don't bury the
roots in too much soil or they may rot.

Chris
Long Island, NY
Zone 7