Peonies and Other "Stuff"

In a message dated 4/6/2004 12:29:25 AM Central Standard Time, mtalt@hort.net
Now, IF,
of course, I ever managed to get my rear out there and get the stakes
and string in BEFORE the plants bloomed, I could at least keep the
flowers off the ground.
Two years ago I had the foresight to place large size double-ring supports
over my peonies when they started coming up.  I had great success with them and
have just left them in place.  Now I can even remember where the peonies are
planted. :-)  They are up now and one has lots of big buds.  I got the rings
from Gardeners Supply.

I have been working like a demon getting my beds in order as the garden club
is having a tour April 17.  I still cannot imagine why they wanted to do it so
early this year, and I am glad I won't be here as that is the weekend of our
Tri-state MG Conference in Memphis.

I decided this year to forget Impatiens in the shady bed in front of my house
and have just finished planting a border of partial-shade loving plants like
Heuchera, Tiarella, Digitalis and Aquilegia which should be happy there.

And speaking of surprises, I just noticed the Cuphea has survived the winter!
 AHS says it's only good to 45 degrees F., and we did have a fairly mild
winter. However, it certainly was below 45. I am really happy about it, and I know
the bees will be, too.  I have never before had anything they loved as much.

zone 7
West TN