Re: the day

> From: Donna  <justme@prairieinet.net>
> So what do all of you do with early purchases?

Pot them up:-)  I have a large gardenway cart full of pots of
shipments that have come in.  It sits outside the garage unless it's
gonna freeze when it's rolled in for the night.  Hopefully that's
over, but you  can never tell.  Gotta get some of those guys in the
ground but am in massive spring cleanup mode and still have 3 major
places I have not touched; well...four - no 5...aaarrrgghh!  Garden
is screaming at me.  Need to be out there 8 hours a day for 2 weeks
to get things under control...HA!  I wish.

If they look a bit tender, I'd set them up against the house
foundation on the north side for any days above 45F and haul them in
at night for a few days - at least into the garage; then, after a
week of this nonsense, just leave them outside and throw Remay over
them if it's going to freeze a bit - bank leaves around the pots.
Once they've been out for a week you can shift them to an east side
or where the sun lovers will get morning sun, but keep them up
against the house foundation where it will be warmer and keep
something around the pots - leaves is what I use as I have unending
amounts of them.  This is known as the spring pot dance...haul pots
out/in/out/in/out/in/out - every year:-)

They should be fine unless you get temps in the 20s - in which case,
I'd haul them into the garage.   I'm thinking night temps.  If your
day temps are still below freezing then you'd prob. have to bring
them into the house.  Got any shop lights?  They work a treat for
providing light for potted plants.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland

who is totally exhausted from working outside for about 8 hours today
in  frenzied clean up and now trying to spiff up the house and get
ready for a family dinner tomorrow + the old E. bunny.  Break time is
over; back to it; gotta get those eggs dyed!

Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :