Re: gardenchat DIGEST V1 #330

In a message dated 4/8/2004 9:41:34 AM Central Standard Time,
gardenchat-owner@hort.net writes:
I don't know where AHS got their temperature recommendations from, but
most of the ones I've checked--and I don't check them that often--way
understate the hardiness of most so-called tropicals. Half the plants
in my yard would not survive, let alone flourish, if AHS numbers were
accurate.
Amen.  Although I have noticed that the difference is that in zone 9 and
higher the temps don't stay low for long....only an hour or two then back up.
Perhaps this is their way of averaging the temps.  For instance, a plant might
survive fine with a dip down to 32 for a short time, but might not survive if it
stays around 32 for days on end.
Noreen