RE: newspaper and - or straw

3-4 inches-- what type of grass are you killing off? I use 2-3 sheets
and as long as they are overlapped, seems to work here.

DH got this roll of brown paper from work... works great since it is
much wider and longer. Only need one layer of that stuff. Don't know
what it is called since they were disposing of it and no longer use it.