FSU Spring Extravaganza

Belated report for which I apologize, but the spring plant sale at Florida Southern University was a fun day [Easter Sunday]. We got to meet up with and talk to a few growers we hadn't seen in awhile. Many of these folks are doing what Jesse seems to be setting out to do.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but down here when a botanical garden or arboretum or other more-or-less public entity has a plant sale it usually includes vendors other than itself, and the other vendors tend to be nurseries that grow odd-ball plants or brokers who specialize in odd-ball plants, local plant societies, backyard growers of interesting stuff, and service clubs [such as the Soroptimists] which act as a kind of collective merchant for their members.

Kind of a strange collection of people looking to make a few dollars and organizations looking to do a little fund raising. But I get the feeling it's really a collegial gathering--most of the vendors seem to know and enjoy one another judging from the banter among them.

And if you want to find material that you won't find at Home Depot or Wal-Mart, they're the best place to shop.

Island Jim Southwest Florida Zone 10