Re: Soft-Shelled Cicadas

Truthfully does not turn me on, either, Eva and I'm not freaked by
bugs; find them quite interesting, actually.  You need to read Eric
Grissell's book, "Insects and Gardens: In Pursuit of a Garden
Ecology"...seriously.  Would give you a whole 'nother perspective on
critters with more than 4 legs.  They are with us to stay.

Rather, I ought to say WE are with them, since they out number us
vastly.  And, you'd be a lot happier in the garden if you could get
past the freak out stage:-)  You may never love them, but if you
understand them, they are not so frightening.

Many of them are incredible masterpieces of design...look on them as
"modern" art:-)   Some of the scarab beetles look just like jewelry;
the ancient Egyptians admired them; incorporated them in their art.

But, before you get past the EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!  stage, you will be
doubly freaked to find out that there is a whole world of people who
buy and sell scarab beetles and other insects just because they are
so neat looking and fascinating...numerous web sites devoted to this
trade.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: EvaTEsq@aol.com
> > There was a guy, an entomologist, who had a seminar at Epcot one
year at the
> International Flower & Garden Festival and he was very serious
about eating
> insects as food.  Yuck!  He was passing mealy worms (?) or
something similar
> around the room & asking the audience to eat it.
>
> Yuck!  I just can't do it -- the thought gives me mental trauma!
LOL