Re: Great day... I guess

It was a GREAT day!  Went on bus with my chapter of NARGS to visit
Pamela Harper's garden (near Yorktown, VA) and then Ginter Botanical
Garden in Richmond where they were having a plant sale, so, of
course, came away with a bunch of new babies to join the ones I have
yet to plant:-)

Both are great gardens in quite different ways.  Was so delighted to
get to see Pam's garden, having read about it in her books for years.
 She suffered a lot of damage during the hurricane; major trees down,
crushing mature shrubs; salt water 3' over half the garden and her
house and on and on, but the garden looked great and the areas that
had suffered damage surprisingly good considering.  A lot of areas
that were in shade are now in full sun; she's growing on castor beans
to set out to provide some shade for summer!  She is such a nice
person - very quiet, modest and unassuming; a great plantswoman.
She's not getting any younger, so this opportunity may not be
repeatable - once in a lifetime type.  Her garden is so full of
treasures; fantastic shrubs and perennials.

Those of you who know my night owl habits will realize that having to
be UP (and not going to bed) at 5:30 and on the road by 6:30AM
resulted in one exhausted old lady when I got back....DH and I ate
the carry out I picked up on the way home and I crashed on the
sofa....but what a great day!

Jim, having gone through roof replacement 2 years ago, you have my
sincere sympathy...whadda mess that can create!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :