Re: Great day... I guess

Daryl, The only reason I can think of for such pricing is that these women
planned to nab these plants for themselves, which wouldn't be tolerated
here.

 A lot of factors can affect the price we put on a plant.  Things like size,
condition, age, if we have a lot of a particular item or only a few, if it
is a rare or very desirable plant, etc.  We also consider what it might sell
for at a nursery.  Then we price it lower than what we'd expect at the
nursery, but not too much lower.  So we fall somewhere between Nursery and
Wholesale.  I'd guess your Penstemon and Buddleia would have gone for $5-7
here and the Hellebores $6-8.  We sell one year hydrangeas for $8-9; two
year olds (in a 3 gal pot) for $15-20.  Our plain old Bleeding heart -
Dicentra spectabilis went for $8-12 last year.

You need to keep your prices reasonable to encourage buyers to hope to find
a good deal, but if they're too low, the group's integrity suffers and you
look like nothing more than a flea market and then it becomes harder to
raise prices once that mindset takes hold.  Not too high either or they'll
go elsewhere.  It can be tricky, but I don't see the point in just
practically givng good items away.  Why do they go through all the effort of
putting on a plant sale and then waste their efforts by pricing so low?

Even in my own home driveway garage sale, I would have charged double what
you said they did, and believe me, they would have been snatched up.  And if
not, then I'd take them to the MG sale and they would charge a higher price.

Kitty