Re: Re: Glaucidium

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> But worth it Marge.  Oh, my heart went pit-a-pat!
> A friend asked me for seed and I'll see if I can collect some.
Meantime I
> checked Deno's book and it looks like he had very improved results
using
> giberellic acid.
----------

I sure hope so, Kitty!  This one's been on the list and trying for a
long time now.

Actually, I've had no problems with germination; it's getting the
seedlings to return after they go dormant that's been the sticking
point.  You only get cotyledons the first year; the second year
(should they return) you get the true leaf.

Deno is very fond of giberellic acid...and, no doubt it does speed up
germination for many difficult genera, but usually simply putting
seed pots outside to weather the winter for those requiring cold
stratification or oscillating temps. does the trick. Actually, think
I put those pots on the floor of my greenhouse, where temps get to
freezing occasionally during winter, which worked tho' they could
also have been among the bunch that spent the winter outside.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi