Re: addendum Glaucidium

Forgot to note that you need to soak the seeds for several days,
changing the water frequently until there's no more color to the
water.  Seems Glaucidium is one that has germination inhibitors in
the seed coat that need to be washed away....prevailing wisdom seems
to agree that cold water is best.

I think this last batch was also the one I soaked for a few minutes
in diluted peroxide; no idea if that helped or hindered.

Looked at my saved notes on growing these from seed.  Seems that old
seed can germinate as easily as fresh and it's best to leave the
seedpots for 2 or 3 years as some may germinate well after the first
do.  Good thing I just planted the whole pot - only removed the pot.
Was also noted that seedlings can be separated and replanted when
they go dormant - like August and that slugs find seedlings tasty as
they start into new growth in spring, so those with massive slug
problems have to haul out the Sluggo.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade