Re: WEATHER!! Now tornados

In a message dated 4/23/04 3:51:43 AM, mhobertm@excite.com writes:

<< improved warning systems nowadays, but tornados being what they
are...can't always predict 'em...sometimes they just come out of
nowhere! I've long since gotten used to the idea of living in Iowa where
tornado season is a just a fact of life, but they still have the power
to make me move awful fast when they are nearby! >>

Melody, I agree with you.  We live with the respect of a warning and tracking
of a potential  tornado is intense by our weather persons. But as opposed to
hurricanes and floods, it is fast.  Tornado sirens went off here last week.
We had no damage but near by did.  Our big one of 98' is as close as I want to
ever be.  We lost 9 trees in our landscape, little structural damage but the
whole area was unbelievable.  Jesse, we had several of those trees uprooted in
garden beds so understand your loss.
    I always had a fear of a tornado while riding Ragbrai (an annual week
long bike ride across Iowa with 10,000 bikers & support teams).  We had storms
hit during the ride but never a tornado.  My brother had to take cover in a
ditch once while on the ride.  That is scary!
    And the big flood of 93' seems like a horrible nightmare now.  The Des
Moines water system which supplies a large metro area was lost as well as so
much loss of business in Des Moines & West Des Moines.  It was truely 'water,
water every where but not a drop to drink.'   Amazing amount of money has been
spent on earthen dams and flood gates to prevent that from repeating.  This
occurred during the Grand Prix race, a 3 day event which was taking place in the
downtown DM area.  Unfortunately that was a major financial loss and the event,
bankrupt, lost all its assets never to exist again.