Re: mystery plant

Thanks so much, Marge.  I have checked the wildflower key and get no results
any way I put things together.  The Onosmodium molle is a pretty good guess,
but the stems of my plants only have two leaves, while this picture shows many
leaves on the stems.  Also, my blooms appear more open - these seem pretty
closed up at the ends.
  I think it is interesting that although these are identified as native
plants, the genus Onosmodium does not appear in Hortus - although there is an
entry for Onosma, which is European in origin.  The Peterson wildflower guide only
lists Onosmodium virginianum  (Virginia False  Gromwell), much too large to
be my plant.  This plant also appears on the New York State Protected Plant
List as endangered.
  I don't have a picture, but maybe I can promote one.  The weather is much
improved this morning, so I am going to move the old bones out to pull up some
of our favorite garlic mustard and do some other useful things.  I'll get back
to this puzzle later.  Thanks again.
Auralie