Family Peonies

Well, I finally got back over to Indy to work on mom's house again.  I only
dug out one of the mature peonies and their roots took 3 very large pots!
(Some have buds on them now.  Should I cut the buds off?)  In any case, I
put them in some good potting soil in the pots and topped them with shredded
mulch for their journey to Ohio.  When we pulled the pots out of the trunk
at 11:30p.m. last night, not one had any signs of wilting.  This a.m. we
just had a downpour that soaked everything.  Now if I can just get a couple
hours of dry time before the next rain so I can get them into the ground
here....  (I'll have to do major soil amendments, though.  They were spoiled
by the soil dad had built up!)

I was so afraid I'd not be able to get any of the roots out at all,
considering the soil in Indiana is very similar to Ohio's.  However, I
forgot that daddy had lovingly tended the peonies for decades even though
he's been dead 4 years now.  Silly me.  The soil was deep black and very
friable more than a foot down.  You should have seen the worms!  They were
huge and plentiful.  There was no great struggle at all.  I should have
gotten all his garden secrets before his last stoke.

Another discovery is that the peonies had spread outside the fence!  What is
outside the fence can't be more than 4-5 years old.  Next trip, I'm going to
try to lift some of them.  They won't last long in the ditch when new owners
want to mow it!