From:  [mailto: Cersgarden@aol.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:56:37 EDT
Subject: Re: [CHAT] WEATHER!! Now tornados

In a message dated 4/23/04 3:51:43 AM, mhobertm@excite.com
writes:<br><br><< improved warning systems nowadays, but tornados being
what they<br>are...can't always predict 'em...sometimes they just come
out of<br>nowhere! I've long since gotten used to the idea of living in
Iowa where<br>tornado season is a just a fact of life, but they still
have the power<br>to make me move awful fast when they are nearby!
warning and tracking <br>of a potential tornado is intense by our
weather persons. But as opposed to <br>hurricanes and floods, it is
fast. Tornado sirens went off here last week. <br>We had no damage but
near by did. Our big one of 98' is as close as I want to <br>ever be. We
lost 9 trees in our landscape, little structural damage but the
uprooted in <br>garden beds so understand your loss.<br> I always had a
fear of a tornado while riding Ragbrai (an annual week <br>long bike
ride across Iowa with 10,000 bikers & support teams). We had storms
cover in a <br>ditch once while on the ride. That is scary!<br> And the
big flood of 93' seems like a horrible nightmare now. The Des <br>Moines
water system which supplies a large metro area was lost as well as so
'water, <br>water every where but not a drop to drink.' Amazing amount
of money has been <br>spent on earthen dams and flood gates to prevent
that from repeating. This <br>occurred during the Grand Prix race, a 3
day event which was taking place in the <br>downtown DM area.
Unfortunately that was a major financial loss and the event,

    http://www.hort.net/funds/<br><

br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com