From: Melody
Sent: 4/25/2004 11:20:53 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] WEATHER!! Now tornados

> Ceres: That is the truly amazing thing about weather in Iowa...with the
> exception of tropical storms, we pretty much run the gamut of extremes
> here...blizzards, floods, drought, tornados, and everything in
> between...we even had a tiny, tiny earthquake once when I was in college
> (they say it was a preview of the "big one" that is about 100 years
> overdue here...who knew?) but I love it anyway!!
>

> Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

> --Albert Einstein

<< improved warning systems nowadays, but tornados being
> what they
are...can't always predict 'em...sometimes they just come
> out of
nowhere! I've long since gotten used to the idea of living in
> Iowa where
tornado season is a just a fact of life, but they still
> have the power
to make me move awful fast when they are nearby!

Melody, I agree with you. We live with the respect of a
> warning and tracking
of a potential tornado is intense by our
> weather persons. But as opposed to
hurricanes and floods, it is
> fast. Tornado sirens went off here last week.
We had no damage but
> near by did. Our big one of 98' is as close as I want to
ever be. We
> lost 9 trees in our landscape, little structural damage but the

whole area was unbelievable. Jesse, we had several of those trees
> uprooted in
garden beds so understand your loss.
I always had a
> fear of a tornado while riding Ragbrai (an annual week
long bike
> ride across Iowa with 10,000 bikers & support teams). We had storms

hit during the ride but never a tornado. My brother had to take
> cover in a
ditch once while on the ride. That is scary!
And the
> big flood of 93' seems like a horrible nightmare now. The Des
Moines
> water system which supplies a large metro area was lost as well as so

much loss of business in Des Moines & West Des Moines. It was truely
> 'water,
water every where but not a drop to drink.' Amazing amount
> of money has been
spent on earthen dams and flood gates to prevent
> that from repeating. This
occurred during the Grand Prix race, a 3
> day event which was taking place in the
downtown DM area.
> Unfortunately that was a major financial loss and the event,

bankrupt, lost all its assets never to exist again.
Ceres

Support

<

http://www.hort.net/funds/