From: Bonnie & Bill Morgan [mailto: wmorgan972@ameritech.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:09:51 -0400
Subject: RE: [CHAT] apple tree

Yes. It is possible for the tree to fruit again (given the
appropriate<br>weather without frost while the flowers and the new
fruits begin to<br>develop.) Apple trees frequently send up suckers.
With our apples (another<br>couple of houses ago) we were always cutting
off the "suckers," but since<br>your main tree was decimated and
obviously the root system was in good<br>shape, it is not uncommon for a
sucker to become the "new tree" on the old<br>root stock and therefore
be capable of bearing fruit too. Here's hoping you<br>have a bumper
Message-----<br>From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net
[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf<br>Of Melody<br>Sent:
Monday, April 26, 2004 5:35 AM<br>To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject:
[CHAT] apple tree<br><br>Can anyone on the list tell me if there is any
hope for this<br>situation...several years ago during a horrific storm
our very old apple<br>tree was completely decimated...ruined beyond
saving with a trunk split<br>to the ground. We have left what is left of
the trunk to rot and remove<br>pieces of the trunk as they do so. Over
the past couple of years, the<br>trunk has sprouted and grown new
branches, which because of the<br>proximity to the dog yard, we have
left as they are tall enough now to<br>provide a decent amount of shade
for the dogs. Well, yesterday...the<br>darn thing bloomed! Not just one
or two blooms, but bunches of them. Is<br>it possible for this tree to
fruit again in this condition? We had only<br>moved into the house a few
months before the storm and I never got so<br>much as one apple off that
tree before it was destroyed...what do you<br>guys
thing we can experience is the mysterious." <br>--Albert
Excite! -

most personalized portal on the

-------------<br>Support hort.net -- join the hort.net fund

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com