Re: mystery plant

You're most welcome, Auralie.  I had a feeling that wasn't the plant
- too big, but the flower seemed close.  I'm still pretty sure it is
in the borage family from your description, but just what I do not

Hortus is gettin' old and just doesn't have everything listed that
seems to be out there or even was out there - it was a marvelous
resource before the web, but now I hardly ever open it.

There are about a zillion wildflower web sites up now with photos. Do
an advanced search on Google with wildflower as the exact phrase and
white, cream, and whatever other key words you think might do
something in the 'at least one of these words' blank; ought to come
up with a bunch of options.

To date I believe I have pulled at least a box care full of garlic
mustard and it's everywhere I look.  Well, not everywhere now, but
still have one section that's full of it.  Bumper crop this year;
looks as though I had not pulled miles of it in the preceding 3 or 4

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
> Thanks so much, Marge.  I have checked the wildflower key and get
no results
> any way I put things together.  The Onosmodium molle is a pretty
good guess,
> but the stems of my plants only have two leaves, while this picture
shows many
> leaves on the stems.  Also, my blooms appear more open - these seem
> closed up at the ends.
>   I think it is interesting that although these are identified as
> plants, the genus Onosmodium does not appear in Hortus - although
there is an
> entry for Onosma, which is European in origin.  The Peterson
wildflower guide only
> lists Onosmodium virginianum  (Virginia False  Gromwell), much too
large to
> be my plant.  This plant also appears on the New York State
Protected Plant
> List as endangered.
>   I don't have a picture, but maybe I can promote one.  The weather
is much
> improved this morning, so I am going to move the old bones out to
pull up some
> of our favorite garlic mustard and do some other useful things.
I'll get back