Re: shade/bog gardening

> From: Melody <mhobertm@excite.com>
> Wow, Marge! That is an incredible amount of info...gonna print it
off
> and study it carefully. You are the second person to mention dry
wells
> and I guess I must have misunderstood Kitty...it sounds like it is
> actually filled to the top and grated over so small
children/animals
> wouldn't be a real problem?? Guess I will look into this
more...thanks
> and my apologies to Kitty!
----------

Well, hope it helps, Melody.  Yes, dry wells (AKA French drains) are
filled to the top with gravel or have a grate - not just a hole
someone can fall into.  The reason they're called dry wells is that
they are shaped like a well but dry most of the time.  How they got
the French drain name, I do not know.

From your other post, seems like one would be the answer to avoiding
a real donnybrook with his neighbor.  Don't blame the neighbor, I'd
come kick his hose away myself if someone was draining water into my
yard:-) Would also probably say some very uncharitable things to your
friend in a very loud voice about it:-)

He'd best deal with this ASAP.

If the water only stands for a short time, there's no need to go to a
lot of trouble trying to build some kind of new garden under those
lilacs - just plant a shade loving groundcover if one is needed and
deal with the water issue before it becomes a lawsuit:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Battling Bambi