RE: Hydrangeas

Sue, they can be grown in containers, at least here in the south. The ones
like yours have usually been treated with growth regulator and go through a
period where they look a bit peaked while they adjust to no spray and a new
home. Don't know why that's so, I'm sure someone on the list can explain
it. Anyway, I know several people that have bought them in the "retail
selling stage" with the giant mop-heads and small plant, but eventually,
they turn into a regular hydrangea that is a shrub. The last person I knew
that dug one and put it in a container needed a 7 gallon pot to hold the
root ball, so probably be ready to step up.

And Kitty is right, it will have to be wrapped well if you don't plan on
bringing it in. They are hardy here, but I doubt it in NY.

Andrea H
Beaufort, SC